Thursday, January 29, 2015

Gaines Mill Ongoing WIP : The board

I went to Greece for the elections, and took the chance to buy some clump foliage to recreate the forests of Gaine's Mill. I still need some to cover all the forested areas, but it looks good I dare say. I like the clump foliage approach to forests that the Altar of Freedom people have proposed, though I decided to glue directly on the filed rather than make them removable. Just a bit more easy this way.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Battler Report and Review: Langesalza 1866 using Big Bloody Battles


Hello to all. I finally sat down to play a solo game of Big Bloody Battles by Chris Pringle. These are rules for large Army or mutli-Army battles but Chris was nice enough to make some training scenarios of smaller battles. So take into consideration that this battle report might not be testing the full potential of the rules. That said I believe his rules can work fine for smaller and faster battles.

I decided to run the Battle of Langesalza scenario (available at the BBB Yahoo Group), using my white coated 1877 Russians as Prussians, and the green coated as Hannoverians.

Monday, January 12, 2015

10mm Russian Line Infantry Division, Russo-Turkish War 1877-8

Hello to all

After three months of work I completed a project. This is a condensed model of Russian forces during the 1877-8 Russo-Turkish War. The actual model is that of a line infantry division, of two brigades, two regiments each, each regiment of three battalions. The miniatures are excellent 10mm Pendraken. It is not simulation of any historical unit. The organisation of the pictures is for Black Powder though the bases can be used for other games (Big Bloody Battles, Neil Thomas 19th Century Rules). Indeed they will be rendering service as proxies for many wars.

I decided to paint them with the goal of representing all of the uniforms the Russian army wore in the war, excluding great-coated infantry (Pendraken did not have such a code). Thus you have units in summer white, winter-fall green, and the mix of the two. I also painted two units using the very nice figures with furshaka. In reality those would be Guard units, and I am not sure the all white summer version of the uniform is right for them, but eh, I can live with it. I sued the Osprey book on the war as a source, plus a wealth of information from the net including the Ottoman Wars and Russo-Turkish War Yahoo Groups.

Flags are from various sources, but in no way do I claim they are correct for units. They are all hand-painted (like all flags in my collection). Let me be clear that this model is not a good simulation. The goal is to capture some uniform and organisational elements of a Russian division.

I painted using Tamiya acrylics, which are a good substitute for Vallejo. The total number is 377 figures. The bases are cush-cush (thin pasta).

The figures are phenomenal and I have been won over by 10mm for the 19th century. You could probably paint them to represent a gamut of 19th century troops types. Bravo to Pendraken!

The division in full. The first brigade has its two regiments deployed in successive lines. The second brigade has them in assault columns.

Bayonets of the Empire!

Advancing lines!

The cavalry up front. They wore red kepis, not fezzes.

Divisional Command with extra stands and massed artillery.

The uniforms presented in the army.

Battalion commands and flags.

Brigade command. Since Pendraken does not produce Russian mounted generals, I used Saxon-Bavarian 1870 command. At 10mm these are a great proxy and look good.

Once more a variety of uniforms.

The cavalry

The divisional command

The gun line.
This was a fun and fast project. Next goal are Alater of Freedom units for Battle of Gaines Mill.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy New Year: Gaming and WIP report

Greetings to you all. I wish you a fruitful 2015, one with health, wealth, joy and peace to you and yours!

Over the Christmas and New Year period I went to Greece . During my stay there I mostly played board-games with my old friends. That said I also introduced one of them to Kiss me Hardy. He played the French and I the English and as life has it, it was another of those rare French victories. His 74 gun SOL and frigate succeeded in forcing a British 74gun to strike its colors, while the 80 gun was unable to engage them. My mistake was dividing my line into two ships and trying to cross the T of the French in two points. The result was my ships getting separated. He liked the game very much.

Coming back to Turkey I got back into working on the terrain project for Gaines Mill.

Last time I had used paper towels soaked in white glue in order to fill in the beds of streams and rivers, and also smooth the elevations of high ground.

I then began painting in the rivers. I started from a deep blue and then tried to muddy it with mixes of brown, green and brown ink.

After that I started applying green paint to the panels. I initially used acrylics, but then decided to go with Faber Castel Finger paints (left panel is acrylics, right is finger paints)

I then started flocking the roads using cush-cush

In greece I bought two packs of a german companies basing material. This gave me static grass for the swamps, and sand and flock for the rest of the field. Open areas are where forests will be put in.

Current state of the project

I am not completely happy. Warping has started to appear, and the flock mixed with the sand is too dark for my liking (but maybe realsitic). I ran out of it, which means that one panel and half may have to be flocked after my elections trip in Greece. I will have to buy model trees (probably from Pendraken when I also buy the troops). Its not bad, but I feel a better result could had been obtained if I was in a place like the US or Greece, where hobby supplies are more abundant.  Still, I am not giving up.