Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Romanian National Military Museum and Bucharest fortifications Part I


Thanks to the invitation of a friend, I had the chance to visit Bucharest, Brasov, and Bran in Romania and Pleven in Bulgarian. In Buchurest I visited a number of museums that most relevant for us being the National Military Museum. 

The Museum is located close to the Gard du Nord train station, in one of the less posh areas of the city. It is readily accessible from the Metro. Outside it does not look like much. But once you enter you see one of the largest artillery and tank parks I have seen in one place. Beyond that the museum has a Aviation hangar with airplanes, a great exhibition on Romanian military uniforms, and then a permanent exhibit that takes you from pre-history to 1989. Unfortunately for me the 19th century-1989 exhibits were being renovated and closed. But even with that this was a massive collection. I took 1040 pictures , worth the 50 lei for taking photos. The cost for the ticket itself is cheap, about 12 lei. There is no souvenir shop, but a book stand has some books in Romanian and some in Romanian/English. I did not find the book on the Romanian Army of 1877 that I have been looking for, but I did find a book on the Army of the 1854-1868 period, and a book on the fortifications of Buchurest. These are from an osprey style series produced by the Romanian National Military Musuem. They are rather good and were added to a well illustrated book in English about Vlad Tepes Dracul that I picked up in Bran (they also had one on Mircea the Elder, but only in Romanian, despite that fact that Mircea outperformed Vlad Tepes). Not a lot of loot, and not the book I was looking for, but better than nothing.



Talking about the Bucharest fortifications, as luck would have it within walking distance from the house I was hosted in, Battery 4-5 of the system was located. I went and visited it, and despite the scars left by the wild vegetation it was worth it. I hope the Romanian goverment restores some of them to their full glory.

So let us start with the fortification pictures. Then the 1040 photos I took at the National Military Museum. Because of the sheer size, I will have small version of the photos. Please click on them for enlargement. There will be two parts to this post. This is part I




















National Military Museum























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments: