Tuesday, July 5, 2016

6mm Prussian Napoleonics Done

A very old project is now almost done. Back in 2009 (gosh 7 years ago) I talked a friend in Greece to get into 6mm Napoleonics. We pooled our resources and got the French vs. Prussians box from Bacchus, together with Polemos. The plan was that I would paint the French and he would paint the Prussians. But as life goes the plans went awry. His life was much harder then mine, and he was also in long term relationship, got married and became a dad. So he never was able to tackle the project. I , more of a free  bird and foolish in my youth to spend time painting minis rather than writing papers, did finish part of  the French portion and part of the Prussian portion (see here, here and here). But without and opponent that project went to a back-burn. Furthermore the Polemos rules simply did not work for us.


Seven years passed, during which I would paint a bit, but largely this project was in the way back-burn. But with the introduction to Bloody Big Battles, and a new generation of Napoleonic Grand Tactical Rules like Blucher, I came to see a new use for these armies, ranging from Red vs. Blue proxies for various BBB scenarios, to Blucher games.  Thus I threw myself at them. First I finished off the French Heavy cavalry, and then I worked on the full Prussian Army. I rebased the Prussians from the 60x30mm Polemos bases to my universal system of 20x20 Bases.And finished them off. So here they are in their tiny glory.


The Infantry and Artillery compoment



The artillery 

The Infantry



The Cavalry Component


Landwher Lancers and Hussars

Cuirassiers and Dragoons

Lancers and Dragoons

I thus have 30 bases of infantry, 36 bases of cavalry, and 4 bases of artillery.

Next step is to rebase all the French from Polemos basing to my Universal system. Where to go from there? One thing is to build up the armies for my BBB Liepzig Scenario. Another is to work up to 50 infantry bases and wait for BBB scenarios for the Prussian-French Battles of 1813-1815. Anyway its good to see these guys ended.


2 comments:

Phil said...

Most impressive army, mass effect is awesome!

Konstantinos Travlos said...

thank you 6mm is a good scale for mass. I like 10mm a bit more because some uniforms can still be different but 6mm is also a good replacement.