Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Post! A happy 2012 to all!

Hello to all!

I hope 2012 finds you all well in health and I hope it is a year of robust health, peace, love, and prosperity for all!

For the inaugural post of 2012 see some pictures of an Iberian Essex DBA army here

http://phdleadhead.blogspot.com/2012/01/dba-ii39-iberian.html

For 2012 my plans are simple

For starters I intend to paint a 15mm Dynastic Bedouin Army as historical opponents for my Nikiforean Byzantines.

Secondly I will try to update this blog at least once a month.

Third I am entering a new era. Since my dissertation requires me to create a data-set of 18th century warfare I have been "living" in the period between 1715-1816 the last four months. I have gotten the bug and I have decided to enter the era in war-gaming.

For starters I bought Prussia's Glory II . For seconds I have gotten Sam Mustafa's Might and Reason rules. One issue I have always had with entering new eras was the lack of a good ruleset that met my requirements for wargaming (simple rules that give a fast fun game and do not require huge numbers of minis and that give a good guide to army buidling). DBA did it finally for ancients and medievals for me (by way of Basic Impetus). Might and Reason seems to be what I need and I have to say I have enjoyed reading the rules right now. Expect to see me lurking around message boards with questions for suggestions for minaitures etc.

Here is a picture of the nice things I got for 2012 :)


So here's to the age of Lace and Fire! Here's to the New Year and here's to good fun for all!

5 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Welcome to the world of the 18th century, sir.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!


-- Jeff

tidders said...

Enjoy your foray into the 18C

Rules wise - these may be of interest :

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/rogerswhome/rules/horseandmusket/SevenYearsWar/weightoffire.pdf

Also I use a set of skirmish rules for small numbers of figures which you may also be useful:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/allan.tidders/Wargames/WG-F-Rules.html

have fun

-- Allan

abdul666 said...

Back to the tricornes, if not (alas) Fair Morea: cheers!
Best wishes,
Jean-Louis

Konstantinos Travlos said...

Hello to all

I will probably built a small Morean force as auxiliaries or allies to one of the major factions (using the WAS Neapolitans as the template). So you will see the deep red and gold. But probably no work on stories! I have decided to work on Might and Reason since I really liked the simplicity of the writing (Also us academics and would be academics should stick together :p)!

abdul666 said...

"[Morea]: but probably no work on stories!"
Once the dissertation done and presented, maybe? :)