Sunday, January 25, 2009

WWII Artisan Desings, On the Workbench and Books

I finally finished my WWII Artisan Designs British Paras and German Grenadier Squads for NUTS! These where beautiful miniatures, easy to prepare for painting, with minimal flash, and a joy to paint. I tried to be historical in my paint scheme but not dogmatic. These miniatures were painted over a 1 year period.
I also did as a mini project over the break a Tiger I from Battlefront (FOW). Unfortunately the tank was mistreated during transportation and I dare show photos of only one side.


On the Workbench I am working on finishing the shootte elements for my TYW Spanish/Imperialist Tercio as well as two squadrons of hargebuisers/cruissiers. Miniatures are Perry's and Foundry. As always the Perrys required little preparation and are taking paint well. The Foundry Calvary required a lot more preparation, but now are doing well. I believe that in a month I will be done with them. After them full speed ahead with Ottomans and Savoyards for the LOA.
Speaking for Ottomans here are two cavalry test minis. One is a conversion for Silhidar and the other a Sipahi. Both are form the excellent Zvezda line.

Over the break I got as presents and read a nice collection of books and comics. I got as a present Dumas "The Last Cavalier" and expect to read it after I am done with my Keay History of India. I also got two Corto Maltese graphic novels as presents which I devoured happily. I also read the latest translated book of the Alatriste series, "The Kings Gold". Once more Reverte provided me with a thrilling tale of swashbucklers and a vivid image of 17th Century Seville. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the Greek translation as always was done very well. A must read for all swashbucklers/ 17th century fans. From a more scientific point of view I read Prof. Vasquez and the late Prof. Senese's book " The Steps to War". It was a very good read and very robust scientifically and some of the findings challenge conventional wisdom about the causes of war and the consequences of a coercive foreign policy. Whether you agree or not with the writers belief that war is a social institution that can be overcomed, this is some top notch scholarship and highly recommended to all students of war and peace. Finally I had the opportunity to read Fareed Zakaria's "The Post-American World". I really liked it and I like Zakaria's optimistic but grounded in reality and rational thinking view. I highly recommended to everyone, whether unafraid or afraid of the brave new era humanity is entering.

1 comment:

Diethnologos said...

Έλα φίλε , Miniatures και ξερό ψωμί ! Ωραία η προσθήκη των historical figures . Πρότεινε και άλλα βιβλία παρόμοιας θεματολογίας (international relations) ...